Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you belive in a higher being? or there is no other beings, just us?
BrainMeta.com Forum > Philosophy, Truth, History, & Politics > Philosophy > What is God?
Onfire
do you believe in a higher being?
or do you think there is no living other than earth, just us?

i want to know what you guys think?
Joesus
QUOTE(Onfire @ May 19, 04:38 AM) *

There are multidimensional aspects of the One consciousness.
From a point of reference in awareness one might put themselves on a scale of greater or lesser.
code buttons
There is a theory in sciences where it is claimed that the universe itself is alive (organic and inorganic matter alike). That's a beautiful proposition to me. It kind of makes sense if you stop and think for a moment that light and life go together, don't you think? I mean, life needs light. Maybe light is life? Besides, all I can think when I think of the universe is: Beautiful, in the truest sense of the word.
Daibh
Well, its only my second post here on BrainMeta....so, go easy on me if I fail to make clear-sense the first time round.

Well, in a word, yes.

I believe in what is often termed a universal principle of one. That, indeed, there is a supreme being and yes, it does hold sway and influence on all things; flowing through them, seperatley and as one.

My spirituality is of a dualist nature, knowing that my body (matter) is but a constituent part to my whole, coupled with my spirit (or mind;) the real me detached from the material world, and, the Ego.

I mention this, as this is how God created me. I, like all, were of "his image" as a partiqular text nicely states. It was merely (and merely is not a shot at down playing the event) the fall of concious which led us to the place in humanity we are now; Egocentric, materialistic, and detached from the divine.

So yes, before my tangent develops and warps into something totally unrelated. I believe in a higher being; both that of myself and the divine.

If for some strange reason you wish me to elaborate, I will, quite happily. But as this is somewhat my first actuall post on these forums, I really feel I have over stayed my visit in this partiqular thread.

Thankyou

& Slante Mhor.
Onfire
All you guys said yes, but you dont really describe this being as having a body.
and from what i summary from your post is that this type of being is
like a living conciousness, if so how can it be access?
or how can we join it to benefit from its gifts ?we are its children,(little conciousness trap in a human body.
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Joesus @ May 18, 10:26 PM) *

From a point of reference in awareness one might put themselves on a scale of greater or lesser.

Notice how Joesus dodges the questions! That's because he does not believe in a being higher than himself. He believes he is the highest being!
Rick
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 19, 08:44 AM) *
He believes he is the highest being!

Can you prove he is not correct?

Proposition 1: The divine within is the highest being.

Proposition 2: By the identity theorem the divine within one is equivalent to the divine within another.

Conclusion: The divine within the one is not lesser than the divine within the other one.

Corollary to the conclusion: Joesus cannot be proven to be lesser than any other.

Ultimate conclusion: Joesus cannot be proven to be not the highest being.

Implication of the ultimate conclusion: That which cannot be proven to be untrue might be correct.
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Rick @ May 19, 10:13 AM) *

Yes, if Joesus is destroyed (say if he got cremated), then everything else still exists. Hence, Joesus is not the highest being.

You can claim that there's some Source speaking through Joesus which escapes destruction of the body, but I am identifying Joesus with his personality, ego and mind, which arguably do not escape destruction of the body. It is his ego which speaks here, and which I addressed.
Joesus
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 19, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick @ May 19, 10:13 AM) *

Yes, if Joesus is destroyed (say if he got cremated), then everything else still exists. Hence, Joesus is not the highest being.

You can claim that there's some Source speaking through Joesus which escapes destruction of the body, but I am identifying Joesus with his personality, ego and mind, which arguably do not escape destruction of the body. It is his ego which speaks here, and which I addressed.

You could destroy the body but the essence of who and what I represent to you would still live. Like those little kids toys that have the pins on a board that you stike with a hammer. You knock one down and another one pops up somehwere else. The very thing that I am to you, you are struggling to come to terms with in yourself.
The ego is fighting with itself to stay in the place where one foot is nailed into the floor and it spins in the same circle of familiarity and illusion of control. It needs to keep its identity rather than merge itself into a greater whole.

This is all about the higher being within the topic of this thread.
It don't have anything to do with me.

maximus242
mm were all on equal ground, only the perception of higher beings exists. It seems as alot of people are touching on the singularity aspect in all of this. I would suggest you read some of the other topics OnFire, as much of what is being discussed has been looked further into on other topics.
code buttons
QUOTE(Rick @ May 19, 09:13 AM) *

Proposition 1: The divine within is the highest being.

Proposition 2: By the identity theorem the divine within one is equivalent to the divine within another.

Conclusion: The divine within the one is not lesser than the divine within the other one.

Corollary to the conclusion: Joesus cannot be proven to be lesser than any other.

Ultimate conclusion: Joesus cannot be proven to be not the highest being.

Implication of the ultimate conclusion: That which cannot be proven to be untrue might be correct.

If science has come to this silly game of tricky wording and thinking about thinking (regardless of wether it's Joesus or not) then we need new parameters for understanding reality. And ASAP, as time is running out!
Joesus
wouldja like to expand on that time is running out thing?
Lindsay
QUOTE(Daibh @ May 19, 05:04 AM) *

Well, its only my second post here on BrainMeta....so, go easy on me if I fail to make clear-sense the first time round...
Fear not! Your contribution is greatly appreciated. smile.gif
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Joesus @ May 19, 10:33 AM) *
You could destroy the body but the essence of who and what I represent to you would still live.

This is obviously a futile and desperate attempt at immortality because you dread death and the cessation of your existence, so you need to invent fantasies about an immortal Self that is your true essence and, quite fortuitously, the essence of everything.

How lame!

In spite of your fantasies about immortality, Death still smiles on you with gaping jaws. You have not defeated Death, Joesus, even with your unwarranted assumption about your essence and the essence of everything being the same. You don't even know what essence means, do you? So how can you equate it with something else when you don't even understand what you're talking about?
Onfire
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 20, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Joesus @ May 19, 10:33 AM) *
You could destroy the body but the essence of who and what I represent to you would still live.

This is obviously a futile and desperate attempt at immortality because you dread death and the cessation of your existence, so you need to invent fantasies about an immortal Self that is your true essence and, quite fortuitously, the essence of everything.

How lame!

In spite of your fantasies about immortality, Death still smiles on you with gaping jaws. You have not defeated Death, Joesus, even with your unwarranted assumption about your essence and the essence of everything being the same. You don't even know what essence means, do you? So how can you equate it with something else when you don't even understand what you're talking about?

The soul is eternal,the soul never dies!
We are eternal being having only a human experiece,this is only a stage.
Death is not really what most people think is it. Death as i see it , is a stage of life that every one must pass
through in order for a human to become fully complete.

so what are you trying to say LUCID?
That this is it for us, no life after death?
Joesus
The essence of which I speak are the judgments that you carry in your beliefs. You erase something or someone on the outside that opposes your belief but the belief does not change because you have removed the irritant, another will come along and you can out of futility attempt to remove every irritant that you come accross but it is the beliefs that you carry that create the irritants.

Num 33:55 But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Joesus @ May 20, 02:46 PM) *
The essence of which I speak are the judgments that you carry in your beliefs. You erase something or someone on the outside that opposes your belief but the belief does not change because you have removed the irritant, another will come along and you can out of futility attempt to remove every irritant that you come accross but it is the beliefs that you carry that create the irritants.

So you're saying that your "essence" is equal to your beliefs? That's very odd. So according to you, since your beliefs are false, they will die, as will your essence.

Onfire
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 20, 02:10 PM) *

So you're saying that your "essence" is equal to your beliefs? That's very odd. So according to you, since your beliefs are false, they will die, as will your essence.

deep inside you know something is telling you that your more than what you are right now.
what is that something that no one can describe or put their fingers on?
Joesus
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 20, 10:10 PM) *

Your mentally masturbating again. I'll wait until you finish and have read what I really said.
lucid_dream
Joesus, you sure talk a lot about mental masturbation. Sorry to disappoint you but the discussion in this thread isn't it. Which could make someone wonder why you keep talking about it.
Hey Hey
QUOTE(Joesus @ May 19, 06:26 AM) *

I can't tell whether you're talking mathematically or metaphysically. Please elucidate.
Joesus
QUOTE(Hey Hey @ May 21, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Joesus @ May 19, 06:26 AM) *

I can't tell whether you're talking mathematically or metaphysically. Please elucidate.

Put it into any relative term that you wish, we all have moods, changing feelings and desires. We experience them one at a time. The universe embodies all at the same time.
We are but facets of a single entity.

Joesus, you sure talk a lot about mental masturbation. Sorry to disappoint you but the discussion in this thread isn't it. Which could make someone wonder why you keep talking about it.

I'm not talking about this thread when I mention mental masturbation. I'm referring to your scientific process of theory for entertainment and temporary expansion of mental process.

In response to your goading:
Rather than taking any intelligent approach, you let your feelings get the better of you. Your approach got personal, you're seeking relief from your frustration and spinning in your thoughts.
You're not an objective thinker, you're a subjective thinker and you like to stay within your personal subjective realities and your rules. You follow the herd and you play within your private world but are resistant to play in any other.
You mentally masturbate by turning the topic towards me, to try and make it about me, but it ain't about me is it?
lucid_dream
Joesus, maybe if you stopped thinking and talking about masturbation all the time, you might be able to clear your mind long enough to appreciate other people's points and concerns about your illogical/comical stance.
Joesus
QUOTE(lucid_dream @ May 21, 06:54 AM) *

Joesus, maybe if you stopped thinking and talking about masturbation all the time, you might be able to clear your mind long enough to appreciate other people's points and concerns about your illogical/comical stance.

other peoples, meaning your personal opinion.
I can appreciate your opinion. It just happens to be low on my appreciation list. Sorry if I haven't complimented you for your opinion but I think you do enough of that for everyone.
lucid_dream
Go back to school. Meditate more. You are not ready for the larger truths of life. Perhaps it's best for society if you keep yourself cloistered. When you are ready to come out of your shell of insecurity and false belief crutches, the world will still be there to engage you.
Joesus
alrighty then.....
lucid_dream

Namaste!
Joesus
That is encouraging, that you see the God in me. wub.gif
Hey Hey
Shall we get back to the topic please? It's an interesting one that never seems to keep on track easily. We could start again, of course, if you think things are out of hand. Peace man (men).
Rick
How can we define "soul"? Suppose it doesn't exist? How would we know it? Is there some way to tell a person with one from a person without one?

That is, if a "soul" exists, what are its observable properties?
code buttons
QUOTE(Joesus @ May 19, 04:02 PM) *

wouldja like to expand on that time is running out thing?

The usual suspects, Joesus, nothing new: Natural catastrophies, WMD, heavenly bodies like the one that killed off the dinosours, the green house effect, earth's wrath in the usual forms such as volcanoes, tsunamies, earthquakes, ect, ect. You ge the idea. One of them will get us sooner or later. And probably sooner than later. That's what I was referring to.

The usual suspects, Joesus, nothing new: Natural catastrophies, WMD, heavenly bodies like the one that killed off the dinosours, the green house effect, earth's wrath in the usual forms such as volcanoes, tsunamies, earthquakes, ect, ect. You ge the idea. One of them will get us sooner or later. And probably sooner than later. That's what I was referring to.

How does this motivate you personally? The threat of death exists for everyone everywhere and in all times, and how does this relate to your knowing of a higher being?

How can we define "soul"? Suppose it doesn't exist? How would we know it? Is there some way to tell a person with one from a person without one?

What's your gut feeling Rick? Take the reason of relative proof out of the equation.
Rick
QUOTE(Guest @ May 23, 10:56 AM) *

What's your gut feeling Rick? Take the reason of relative proof out of the equation.
My idea here is that the one who advocates the use of the term "soul" should justify its usage. That is, if it really can add meaning to a discussion, then explain it. If there is no way to tell the difference between having a soul and not having one, then the term "soul" has no meaning, and should not be used, as it will only generate confusion.

So what does "soul" mean? I think it's merely redundant for terms like "mind", "consciousness", "thought", "essential personality", etc.
Rick
QUOTE(code buttons @ May 22, 07:09 PM) *
One of them will get us sooner or later. And probably sooner than later.

This implies that honorable action requires understanding in such a way that adequate preventive measures shall be appropriately undertaken. It's a hard problem, and we may not have a full lifetime in which to solve it.
rhymer
I've been up a ladder today.

That's the nearest thing to a 'higher being' that I have ever come across!
TaylorS
There is no valid empirical evidence for the existance of a supernatural realm or a divinity, thus I have no reason to believe in such things. I wouldn't, though, rule out the possibility of super-sapient beings so advanced that they would seem like gods to us.

I am a materialist and a determinist. There is so such thing as "souls."
trojan_libido
QUOTE(Rick)
If there is no way to tell the difference between having a soul and not having one, then the term "soul" has no meaning, and should not be used, as it will only generate confusion.
I'm not sure on your logic here Rick, there are plenty of things that have meaning and yet are undetectable.
QUOTE(TaylorS)
There is no valid empirical evidence for the existance of a supernatural realm or a divinity, thus I have no reason to believe in such things.
There is no valid empirical evidence for half the theories in science nowadays. Wheres the dimensions after 3 in string theory and other similar theories? What about the data from a probe swallowed by a black hole? A more open mind is required to accept all of science, nevermind the esoteric things which have been written about since humanity could write. I think there is some value to all our stories of God, the holy spirits and the soul, if only in psychology.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am