Full Version: Sometimes I really hate being "gifted"
BrainMeta.com Forum > Literature & Art > Miscellany > Personal Advice
Casey
--EDIT--
lucid_dream
QUOTE(Casey @ Jan 06, 2007, 11:02 PM) *

Now,
I constantly feel like I'm going against the grain of society
Being around people uses a vast amount of my energy and usually leaves me tired.
I don't feel like I can relate to anyone. I feel very alienated.

I know these feelings are common among highly intelligent individuals, but I was hoping a few of you could elaborate on your own experiences.

this may be indicative of introversion, and not necessarily of high intelligence. Introverts find social situations taxing and solitary experiences relaxing. Extroverts are usually the other way around.

Observations on my own experience: As I've grown older, I've become progressively more social. I regard this peculiar fact to being due largely to having increased responsibility to other people, though it would be interesting to determine how common this phenomenon is. I still regard myself as an introvert and treasure time to myself, though.

About relating to people, bear in mind that even though you may not know anyone you can relate to, it's very likely that there is such a person or several people somewhere, and that you should be on the lookout for them, especially if they are rare.

GregM
g`day casey, most people i know think of me as being far from normal..smile.gif

keep well, greg

Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven.
-- Edward De Bono --
Flex
Casey I think I may have found your problem...Your profile says you don't like soul music! You just need to find the soul, and then you will be fine smile.gif I recommend "A Change Is Gonna Come" -Sam Cooke.

oh and btw I can't stand being around people eaither (besides a very select few)
code buttons
QUOTE(Flex @ Jan 07, 2007, 12:50 AM) *

Casey I think I may have found your problem...Your profile says you don't like soul music! You just need to find the soul, and then you will be fine smile.gif I recommend "A Change Is Gonna Come" -Sam Cooke.

oh and btw I can't stand being around people eaither (besides a very select few)

Unless your social skills are inhibiting you from achieving your basic human needs (like getting a mate, for example), then, take on a "who gives a f**k" attittude. It's a spiritually liberating attitude, and it lets you project more of who you really are from within. Which, in turn, allows you to project confidence that is definetely percieved by others. And, if you are a young dude, this allows you to become more attractive to the female population, if that's what you're interested in.
While I don't claim to being "gifted" in the traditional scholastic way that you might be referring to. I empathize with you at a more intelectual level. That is, I am an extremely thinking individual. To the point where my thoughts were begining to alienate me from my friends and society in general. But slowly I learned to deal with these issues as they threatened to derail my life from any normalcy that I may have otherwise achieved.
I would definetely not inhibit whatever gift I have, but embrace it. Count your blessings and run with it. Make a better world for yourself and as many of those around you as you can affect positively. Peace!
Oh Yea! And Flex is right! Partially. Listen to Billy Holliday as well. She tear her soul apart and does all the spiritual cleansing for you; all for the cost of $12.50!
Culture

Now,
I constantly feel like I'm going against the grain of society
Being around people uses a vast amount of my energy and usually leaves me tired.
I don't feel like I can relate to anyone. I feel very alienated.

I know these feelings are common among highly intelligent individuals, but I was hoping a few of you could elaborate on your own experiences.

I do not agree. I work with gifted students (when I say gifted I mean REALLY gifted) and besides a handful that show signs of autism, most of them are

a) extroverted
B) and those that are not, are intelligent enough (realise) to learn the necessary social skills needed.

Eventually, I decided to repress it. I started to act "normal." In fact, most of my high-school peers didn't think of me as bright. I took great care in hiding all of my test scores from my classmates, and I only used a small portion of my vocabulary. I also stopped reading books. Then I went college and retained that same facade.

Now that is not intelligence at all.
Casey
--EDIT--
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am