Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Down the Rabbit Hole
BrainMeta.com Forum > Enhancing Consciousness and Cognition > Expanding Consciousness > Entheogens
trojan_libido
Hey all, long time no read.

I have chased and caught some plants containing DMT. The reports of this chemical are so strange that I simply have to see it for myself. I made myself some yopo and smoked it, that was too much of a body rush and too unpleasant for me to push it until I tripped, so I'm hanging all my hopes on Jurema. This is an ayahuasca style drink made from mimosa bark.

Unfortunately my MAOI of choice is syrian rue, and this seems to make the effects come on very fast, much like the unpleasant yopo. However I've bought the ticket, and soon I'll take the ride.

I'm hoping to be introduced to the DMT realms of geometrical elves, plant Goddesses and jaguars. Maybe a snake or two, you know how the jungle is.

However, whats likely to happen is the experience is terrible. Either because of sickness or because the quality of the bark is poor. I'll let you know before this weekends over...

Wish me luck!
Flex
I want a full report--sounds interesting. I don't know if I could handle seeing geometric elves... Good luck smile.gif
simon
Do you have a trusted friend to tend to you and watch over you during your journey ? It can be quite a long journey maybe 12 hours long and can be a little bit disconcerting at times, it's good to have a friendly face as a "base" to check in with every now and again. You may also want to throw-up from either end of your digestive tract, this is fine and is rather more like a cleanse, you may need a friend at such times. It might be a good idea for you and your friend to find a regular group to try ayahuasca with first, a good ayahuascaro/shaman or guide can be invaluable.
Having said all that a smoked DMT journey, which lasts maybe 30 minutes in total with 10 minutes peak experience, is quite safe, just be comfortable.
Also smoking DMT is great to do around plants and/or water as a very real sense of connection or rather more like communion can be experienced.
Good luck and blessings on your journey t-l
trojan_libido
Thanks for the info Simon. I've done my homework over the last year and a bit, so its definately not something I'm doing all alone or at a party. My brother will be with me in the experience and my girlfriend will be with me as a sitter.

I'm far from detached from the reality of the pending experience, in fact I have so much respect for the properties of DMT that I fear the result. However I just have to know the reality of the experience, as I feel it has everything to do with the mythologies and faerie stories within our history.

PS. All of this post and future posts belong to a dream I had.
Rick
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Mar 15, 2007, 03:10 AM) *
PS. All of this post and future posts belong to a dream I had.

"Gold and rose, the color of a dream I had
Not too long ago.
Misty blue and lilac too,
Never to grow old."

--Jimi Hendrix, Axis, Bold as Love, "Gold and Rose"

Be sure to provide some good music for your trip.
trojan_libido
I sure will Rick. In my dream *ahem* I have almost completed the Jurema/Ayahuasca. Just another 3 hour boil and then a final boil to reduce the quantity. I'm left with a cup full of caramel stinky syrian rue, and a bowl full of deep red Amazonian sacrament.

So this is the final hour before I strap myself onto this rocket and tell all the rocket engineers to go home.

Music wise: The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jack Johnson, Young Guns 2 soundtrack, Coldplay, and some others. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't manage some real chanting tracks, so I'll have to makedo.

Set: My gf is starting to panic and she's showing it by silently protesting, lol. My nerves are being tested, but I will appreciate wherever I go, good or bad. I will have my older brother with me, the black-sheep of the family, who I'm hoping will be thrust into a new direction from the experience.

Setting: I will be indoors in my own house, surrounded by a blue and silver room full of fantasty ornaments. I have optical illusions and strange Egyptian symbols scattered around. I considered taking the whole thing outdoors with a tent and campfire, but decided it wasn't worth the risk that we'd be arrested for starting a fire too close to civilisation.

Mimosa has been described by many as a Male spirit, if you believe in that kind of thing. I hope we become allies...
Rick
The sacramental molecules are merely the trigger. The rest of it is you. Listen to what you tell yourself.
trojan_libido
Well I can report semi-success, although I think the quality of the mimosa wasn't as good as it could have been. I ended up using 3.5g Syrian Rue and 15g mimosa, although I only managed to get 10g down and although my brother got all his down, it hit his stomach and bounced straight up. He felt it still, but I don't think it was what he thought it would be like. My dose was only 2/3rds of what I wanted, but i kept it down for 20 minutes. The purge was extremely easy and not unpleasant at all, I guess the fasting helps enormously.

The missus was extremely agitated and basically destroyed any hope of a spiritual journey, but she settled once she realised it wasn't certain death I was walking into.

10 minutes in and there were some small open eyed visuals, mainly a feeling of detachment from the situation and a very nice euphoria. Balance was effected in quite a major way, I felt quite drunk.

The OEV's were a slight circular motion on the patterned ceiling, but this subsided in the first hour rather than getting stronger. I had my head resting sideways on an armchair looking at my vertical blinds. They seemed to be moving in opposite directions, a very subtle effect. No trailers were seen.

CEV's were extremely colourful. When I closed my eyes and drifted into the patterns I saw landscapes covered in grids of squares or sometimes 3-layer pyramids. These were on a morphing landscape that seemed to curve and drift at extreme speed, sometimes even pointing directly into my field of view. At one point I saw a fan of peacock feathers, or a Red-Green-Blue fan at least, and within this image a flash of a superimposed tiger face was seen.

Its difficult to describe the imagery with your eyes shut, it seemed to be a direct stream of consciousness in terms of imagery, although I played with consciously altering the imagery and to some extent it worked. The only problem with this is you come to a dead end rather quickly in your imagination.

At one point, whilst other images and landscapes were zooming around, I saw what looked like the mandelbrot fractal kind of ebbing in from the bottom of my cortex, it felt like a sunrise was warming my face and was extremely pleasant.

Overall I'm glad I went through with this experience, although I definately want to try a much higher dose and work on making the sacrament more pleasant.

All in all the sacrament is very real and is extraordinarily potent considering the dose I got, guessing at potency, was more likely to be in the 5g mark.

I'm extremely interested in others opinions of the shamanic use of DMT and the implications of the UDV in Brazil on religion.
trojan_libido
Disappointing that no one responded about this sacrament. Its absolutely relevant to every aspect of humanity and science. /sigh
kortikal
maybe not many people familiar with DMT?
Achintya
I'd have replied if I'd bothered to read this post in time... sorry, trojan. I'd be interested to hear more of your experiences on DMT, as my own trips on shrooms, acid and san pedro have been very educational.

I've heard, perhaps wrongly, that DMT is orders of magnitude more intense than any of the psychedelics I've tried yet, and that's made me very cautious (in fact, prohibitively cautious) of trying it. So if you come back in good or better shape, that would be most encouraging.
deceit
I'm extremely interested in entheogens. I plan on mushrooms in the near future and lsd once I can get away from all my commitments for a day. From what I've read, I believe these experiences can be extremely rewarding in moderation and if done properly and for the right reasons. Thank you for telling us about your dream.
deceit
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Mar 19, 2007, 05:27 AM) *

I'm extremely interested in others opinions of the shamanic use of DMT and the implications of the UDV in Brazil on religion.

I have not researched this subject, but I have read many experience reports relating to people using entheogens. From my own personal experiences and what I have gathered, I believe there are definitely some serious spiritual signifigance and some kind of closer link with nature and ancient man, but I don't think a life of psychodelic journeys ever leads to a feeling of wholeness or enlightenment. I'm probably preaching to the choir about moderation and I apologize. I do personally however feel a personal obligation to experience acid, shrooms, and dmt during my lifetime to gain some kind of meaning our atleast some positive insight on these chemicals.
trojan_libido
I have not repeated this experience since that time. There is too much preparation and to be honest, if you can stomach the whole concoction then your a better man than me. I have Yopo/Cebil that I've tried a few times, but I've never insuffilated it, because smoking it comes on too fast, too hot, too loud and disorientating.

I think limited use is almost all these plant teachers allow. If your interested in trying this experience for yourself, please look up Eagles Wing shamanic retreats. I think ill go do it properly in the correct setting soonish, they have a getaway for a few places in the UK.

As for mushrooms or LSD, please go for the natural choice every time if possible. The length of time a trip can last is ridiculously long given the size of the material ingested.

The only other hallucinogen I would like to try is mescaline. This comes from the psychoactive cacti of the americas. One of the most famous cacti is peyote. The problem with this cacti is it takes up to 30 years in the wild to reach flowering age and 6-10 years in home cultivation, and thats just for a little button the size of half your fist. Now the internet has made global commerce a threat to the survival of this plant because every stoner and his dog wants to have a go. I plan on getting a specimen to keep, not to use in any way.

The alternative is San Pedro cactus. This grows very fast and is very large. San Pedro is a funny name too, since Christian missionaries tried to stamp out the indigenous beliefs and in the end they settled for the natives using some of their iconography yet keeping their core beliefs. San Pedro = St. Peter, the guardian of the gates of Heaven.
Culture
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Jul 07, 2007, 12:51 AM) *

I have not repeated this experience since that time. There is too much preparation and to be honest, if you can stomach the whole concoction then your a better man than me. I have Yopo/Cebil that I've tried a few times, but I've never insuffilated it, because smoking it comes on too fast, too hot, too loud and disorientating.

I think limited use is almost all these plant teachers allow. If your interested in trying this experience for yourself, please look up Eagles Wing shamanic retreats. I think ill go do it properly in the correct setting soonish, they have a getaway for a few places in the UK.

As for mushrooms or LSD, please go for the natural choice every time if possible. The length of time a trip can last is ridiculously long given the size of the material ingested.

The only other hallucinogen I would like to try is mescaline. This comes from the psychoactive cacti of the americas. One of the most famous cacti is peyote. The problem with this cacti is it takes up to 30 years in the wild to reach flowering age and 6-10 years in home cultivation, and thats just for a little button the size of half your fist. Now the internet has made global commerce a threat to the survival of this plant because every stoner and his dog wants to have a go. I plan on getting a specimen to keep, not to use in any way.

The alternative is San Pedro cactus. This grows very fast and is very large. San Pedro is a funny name too, since Christian missionaries tried to stamp out the indigenous beliefs and in the end they settled for the natives using some of their iconography yet keeping their core beliefs. San Pedro = St. Peter, the guardian of the gates of Heaven.

I'll bite :-)

I am fortunate enough (and the country I live in ALLOWS this) to own 50 Lophoro Williamsi plants. I have 15 that have been 'harvested' and it is something very special to nurture these friends of mine from about 6 months old till maturity. These plants are perhaps under threat in the US (I have no idea) but I'd venture to say that the hallucinogenic community as whole are likely helping this plants survival. They do particularly well in southern Africa.

Sure some 'stoners' would like to get their paws on one, but you do not usually find a mature specimen and stoners tend not to be able to wait the 5-6 years.

xanadu
I tried smokable dmt and all I got was nausea even after several tries. I gave it to someone else and they had the trip with no problem. Oh well.

LSD or psilocybin would be your best bet though illegal most places.
trojan_libido
Can you describe any experiences culture? This seems to be one of the only other avenues I'm willing to walk down and the history behind its use makes it very important culturally.

I'm not really asking where or what to get high on xanadu. That kind of quest is fairly short wink.gif
Culture
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Jul 09, 2007, 01:53 AM) *

Can you describe any experiences culture? This seems to be one of the only other avenues I'm willing to walk down and the history behind its use makes it very important culturally.

I'm not really asking where or what to get high on xanadu. That kind of quest is fairly short wink.gif

Will post a full report... currently battling a serious bout of dengue fever.... although the visuals are great the fever is not
Culture
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Jul 09, 2007, 01:53 AM) *

Fever has lowered and am able to articulate again.

Regardless of the trip reports you read from many users of mescaline, I must emphasize that your social background, cultural influence is in all likelihood going to dictate where the trip goes. Preparation is key and I have kept a rigid regime of eating as little as possible or sleeping as little possible. This may not be for you and I would not recommend this as it does tend to push the boundaries a little too far. Nonetheless let me get back to my personal experiences with Lophoro Williamsii.
RECOMMEND- DICATPHONE to record the experience :-)
First time use : 1000mg (perhaps take 500mg for the first time)
Weather : Clear blue skies 32 degrees centigrade
Setting : 15 km stretch of beach (only 6 people all friends)
Time ingested : 5:30 am HIGHLY recommended if you can time the onset with sunrise

Initial taste - terrible and thus the reason for not eating anything for 36 hours before

Onset: 30 minutes (I have a fast metabolism)

Experience:30 - 50 minutes
Initial onset was subtle and similar in many ways to shrooms, slight visual distortion in peripheral vision
and then hit hard as the sun started rising and colour came into the world. Felt a bit disorientated and still
nauseas. Was able to converse on a range of topics with some new 'insights'

50min - 80 minutes
Started to feel remarkably comfortable with the complete change in surroundings, had trouble distinguishing between the ocean and the sky which in turn added a very cool extra dimension to the visuals that were evidently starting to POP up everywhere, no panic and still a zen like calmness. Conversation was becoming a problem although I could follow conversations perfectly, the words I were trying to sound, were foreign. A good laugh followed by a laughing fit. Started walking (I was told this part) to the area where the water meets the land on the beach and apparently spent the next 20 minutes transfixed and smiling

90minutes - 180 minutes
Clear as day in memory
Visuals now no longer visuals but true reality. Usually regardless of the amount of lsd etc I take I always have that voice in the back in my mind that reminds me that regardless of what I am seeing, its because of the substance I tool. With this little gem of a plant, that awareness was nowhere to be found. The changed landscape (completely foreign in appearance) the 'other' worldly visuals felt and were the only truth I was aware of. Intricate patterns (a recurring visual) interweaving wherever I moved my gaze. Conversation and language for that matter were now something archaic.

180min - 240 minutes
Incredible! The interweaving patterns now started to weave new morphing imagery into the landscape. The control factor of these visuals unsurpassed in any previous experience, the ability to guide and direct the patterns a very humbling (odd I know) experience. First realisation that I was sure there were other 'beings' with me earlier, but quickly forgotten as 5 by 5 metre clouds developed in front of my eyes and then proceeded to have a mini thundershower over me. I felt wet, I saw drops. It happened.

240 - 360 minutes
Intense visuals unexplainable! Still felt calm and relaxed. Although I had no desire (apparently to move about) my friends guided me for a walk (which I requested before the trip) to get the dopamine going. Colours started to blend with sounds, sounds with tastes, tastes with sight. Exceptionally philosophical and introspective.

The rest of the trip started tapering off and felt great when I eventually came round.

ADVICE:
Dont try to make anything out of it. Just sit back and relax

Have friends with you to make sure you dont bump into a lonely fisherman on the beach :-)

Set the scene, choose the location. Something with water seems to have always worked for me. (Lake, dam, river or sea)

Have shade!

TYROSINE is your friend with this plant. Make sure you preload.

DOPAMINE is your BEST friend.. so make sure you stock up on fish oils in your diet. Inositol works well as does Phosyhatdly serine (not sure if the spelling is correct)

cheers

trojan_libido
A long time ago a group of friends decided to trip on a local hilltop, full of undergrowth, large fields and canyons. Myself and another friend made the effort to go to the location before the sun rise and timed the onset to match the sun.

The feeling of being bathed in light after the cold dewy half-light was food for the soul. The LSD wasn't required but definately enhanced the experience.

Later that day there was much drinking, joviality, confusion and the like. The best part though, had to be when we were "ambushed" by 11th century soldiers re-enacting the Battle of Hastings. lol.

You couldn't dream that stuff up, sometimes I think the world throws us a curveball just because it can.
Orbz
I was recently fortunate enough to come across some DMT, in a smokable form.

Setting-
Time: 4.00 am
Preload: Alcohol approx 7-9 std drinks started at around 7.30 pm finished drinking by around 1.00 am. MDMA initial dose approx 11.00 pm, second dose (half of first) around 12.30 am.
Tobacco, 2 self-rolled cigarrettes immediately before dosing, I don't smoke but its the closest thing to a MAOi that you can get easily, which is why I had them to potentiate the effects slightly (I don't know if it worked).
Company: Solo
Place: Park

Dose of DMT: ????? no idea, from what the people said, I probably had 1 1/2 to 2 doses whatever that was.

Duration: Peak within 20-30 seconds of initial inhalation, lasted between 5 and 10 min, then settled for about 20 min. (approximately, I had no time keeping device)

Trip: Full visual and auditory hallucinations.
Auditory hallucinations were the combination of some kind of hum, which could have been extrapolated from the trees blowing in the wind; The little elf heads playing around in geometric patterns giggling; and this kind of amusement theme park type sound consisting of few notes but repetitive.

Visual Hallucinations were mostly of geometric shapes and elves in those geometric shapes when I had my eyes closed. Also very cool was the geometric shapes superimposed upon reality. The grass around me had superimposed upon it this lattice work of visuals which were rolling and undulating around me in wavelike motions and the trees had a similar kind architecture to them. It was a very beautiful scene.

Kinesthetic sensations.
The regular kind of euphoric sensations. A feeling of my body kind of losing control and getting sucked inward. Shortly after this was a feeling of power of being able to do things with the mind. As soon as I realised this feeling I tested it and it turned out to be false, merely another hallucination.

Psychological.
When I was at the height of the trip I remember challenging the trip, saying is this all there is. I was disappointed at the falseness of it. Many people have said they have certain realisations and think they have gained a better understanding of reality from it, or even a more real reality. This is for me false. The kind of understanding this drug gives you I either already had, had a greater understanding of already, or it was delusion. I can honestly say I have had more legitimate 'spiritual' insights and feelings gained through things like my meditative practices, active sexual abstinence, fasting, scientific thought and honest self-appraisal and acceptance. Although this sounds like I was totally disappointed with it, which I was a little at the time but am not now (although I think this could be rectified with a longer trip). The effects are staggering, an ability to induce such powerful hallucinations of an auditory, kinesthetic and visual modality is an incredible thing. But to me, that particular trip was merely a game... but so is the rest of life.

Will repeat again soon, hoping for a stronger MAOi to turn up. Hope to one day experience the ordeal that is ayahuasca.
trojan_libido
I think DMT is the rocket ship and Ayahuasca is the rowing boat in terms of ordeal and travelling time. From your description and what I've read it doesn't seem like you had a 'breakthrough' dose, but a fun one either way. You could still percieve reality with overlayed visuals, and from what I can make out you lose that at a full breakthrough dose. I'm also don't think you need the MAOI if your smoking it, thats for inhibiting a stomach enzyme and your bypassing the stomach by smoking.

I still wish I could join you on the journey though; the fasting, MAOI and length of trip are a bit of an ordeal when a nice fast 30 minute journey would be preferrable. I may go to this workshop this year, before the government takes the rest of our rights away from us: http://www.shamanism.co.uk There's a short break in the UK and also in Wales, but I'd prefer to have a three-to-four week cleansing in the Amazon with the real thing.

Unfortunately my girlfriend is extremely uptight about experiments and journeys in this realm, mainly because she didn't like the extremely potent mushroom first-trip she had in Amsterdam. She also didn't like how my passion for religious truth was bolstered from a trip last year. I spent almost a year writing the outline of a book (they say we've all got one in us wink.gif ). Her fear of allowing endogenous sub-conscious imagery have free reign over waking-life, coupled with her experience of her sisters mental health problems, makes her extremely negative towards my exploring. But she also thinks I'm crazy when I tell her about my lucid-dreams, so I feel she is less than qualified to rant and rave at me smile.gif
Rick
QUOTE(trojan_libido @ Jan 21, 2008, 12:55 AM) *
... she didn't like the extremely potent mushroom first-trip she had in Amsterdam.

Ah, yes, the importance of set and setting. To get the right set, first timers need lots of preparation. Expectations are a big part of it.

For Orbz I suggest cutting out the alcohol.
Orbz
MAO is everywhere, including the brain; its one of the major mechanisms limiting the action of dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin (besides reuptake). Its just that oral absorption is slow so the MAO enzymes easily metabolise the DMT in the concentrations that oral consumption gives the body.

Yes, I think when I have another go this week, I'll do it without the alcohol and mdma (or whatever was in that little green thing) and try to absorb a larger dose, and am still looking for a more efficient MAOi.
trojan_libido
I think the banisteriopsis caapi (ayahuasca vine) is what you want. The DMT can come from anywhere, but the caapi is what makes it ayahuasca. Its also not toxic like harmaline is. I still think you don't need an MAOI when your smoking it, its powerful enough!

I love almost any set and setting Rick, its the variety of feeling that makes me so curious about hallucinogens. This may be because I've had probably the worst - but safest - bad trip in the history of history:

I had my own summer of love back at school, and me and my friends did a lot of acid (14-15yr old). I was fascinated by the substance, trying it in every possible circumstance, even Christmas morning after a heavy night the night before. Anyway I ended up forgetting a two-sided essay I had to write for talking in class. The night before, a girl I was knocking around with had laughed at my essay and asked if she could write it for me. I said yes knowing that I'd have to get a new sheet of paper. She giggled while she scrawled all over it, and then we went tripping. Next morning, after a very late night of self-destructive recursive thoughts, I wake up and realise I need an essay! I was so knackered I thought I could get away with handing in her scrawling huge inflated writing and that the teacher would just scrumple it up and throw it.

A week later, in my infinite wisdom, decided to drop more acid at school at 11am...it was sunny, dont look at me like that wink.gif At 1pm I was called over the head of years office, and after waiting in a queue to see her I realised that my worst nightmare had manifested. I was on acid in the head of years office for an essay that was written all about acid... I almost ran out of that office so I could come and explain myself later when I had come down... I didn't, I accepted my self created dilemna.
But I can now guarantee that only the death-rebirth psychedelic cycle will ever take me to the depths of that trip. I can't believe she didn't see the sweat on my brow, or the size of my pupils. I was focused on her face while I received my surreal interrogation, but the walls were warping around her head. Luckily in the afternoon we watched a video and I calmed down.

Scary and true!
Rick
Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Acid Kool Aid Test" gives a good description of the two approaches to tripping. There's the well-planned, guided, protected trip (recommended for beginners), advocated by Timothy Leary, that the Merry Pranksters put down by calling it "the crypt trip", and then there's the out in the wild on the road reality trip where nothing is in control.
trojan_libido
The premise of Set and Setting is where its at. Some interpret that everything has to be in control, but the trips are more interesting when its not. For instance, a UB40 concert in the heat of summer was an absolute blast. The lyrics were more meaningful (normal LSD response), the emotion more raw, you could taste the melodies and everything had purpose. I came out of that concert feeling like I could start a religion. Strangely after my girlfriend being worried about being high in a public place (personal trait of hers), the day was fantastic; however when everyone rushed to the exits there was a little crushing and crowding. I saw my 5 foot high girlfriends pupils become extremely dilated and I almost had to carry her out. I'm glad she is not the type to do silly things like trip at a concert, because that crowd experience would have sent her silly what with her obvious fear of being crushed.
ph0b
Just to bump this up, I've been interested in DMT and Psilocybin for a while now, ever since I got thru Terence McKenna lectures, I couldn't wait to get my hands on some...

My experience with DMT has been limited and I have not fully broken thru to hyperspace, and even then, it was so bizarre that I haven't touched it since (it's been almost a year now). I kinda feel the calling tho, so I might be up for another try very soon...

Another thing to point out, not really relevant but, ever since I took 5g's of psilocybin mushrooms (which is one of those Terence McKenna's heroic doses he always talks about), I feel as though a door has been opened, a connection has been made in my brain... Or maybe I broke it but it was a VERY difficult experience which taught me a lot and what's more disturbing is when I take LSD now, I have a VERY similar reaction to it, as if I was taking psilocybin.. It comes in waves, I get a little nausea and the trip turns very bizzare and frightening with tremendous revelations that are very hard to hold onto once I'm back to "reality."

Anyway, looking forward to my next DMT journey...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am