Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who IS God?
BrainMeta.com Forum > Philosophy, Truth, History, & Politics > Philosophy > What is God?
celestia777
Who is God?
God is everything that we perceive, everything that ever was and ever will be.There is NO separation.God is the beginning and the end, the Infinite ever present LOVE that makes up the Universe. That ever present energy that surrounds us that IS us.That consciousness that is eternal and constant.That love that has allowed us to be separate so that we can choose to be aware of who and what we are.
God is infinite and so are we and when we begin to realize that that part of us who is God , who we are and when we begin to experience that energy, we become enlightened, we experience the ALL and finally realize that there is only ONE.
Dan
what religion do you believe, celestia777? 'New age' style, or more traditional 'eastern'?
Ify
GOD is the Creator who was never created (Col. 1:16) without HIM nothing that exist was created.

HE's love (I John 4:16), HE loved us with unfailing and unconditional love.

HE's the Alpha and Omega, First and the Last, Beginning and the End (Rev. 22:13) He has no beginning nor and end.

HE is the Shield and help of those who diligently wait upon HIM (Psalms 33:20), He never let HIS people down.

HE is with us - the ever present God (Matt. 28:20)

HE is without limit (Psalms 72:8)

The only infinite God (Psalms 147:5)

HE is God the Redeemer (Psalms 78:35)

HE is the Rock and Salvation of them wo dilifently seek HIM (Psalms 62:6)

HE is the Justification of the Righteous (Romans 4:25)

HE is the King of Kings (Rev. 19:16)

HE is the Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6)
jonny
*yawns*

so what else is new?
rhymer
Hi Jony,

Who would you like to be told God is?
Or what would you like to hear that God is?

Bill.
lilpet
This is a bit different but before you discard it laughingly
sit and think about it for a minute.

I have this friend I'll just call him John.
One day we were talking about life, god, creation ect.
and he totally surprised me with his interpretation
of life.

Im going to try to explain this correctly lol.

The universe is the body
The Stars are blood cells
The Planets are cells in the body
The human race is a disease and we are infecting one of the cells
of the body(earth)
Space travel is the spread of the disease to other cells of the body

Human disease is the white blood cells of the body trying to purge its cells(planets)
of disease(humans)

Therefore he concluded that the body was God

hope I said all that right lol
+Steven Curtis Lance
My question is:

Who the bloody F**K is +Steven Curtis Lance?

...just wondering...

I'll get back to writing my sonnets now.

Peace out, yo.

ph34r.gif
Andie
maybe the better question is "Where is god?"....cus i know he/she/it, is no where near me...

Andie
Sky
Dear Celestia777,

I think the way that you think about who is god is right on the ball with how I think. I found that if you analyze the parts of life and then label it God making God all (the one) you will start to learn about yourself and where you fit into God's life and what exactly that totality of God is.
Steve
Does giving "God" labels get us anywhere? I don't really think it does. We can try to describe "God" with words, but for what purpose? And really, based on celestia777's definition of God, can't we cut the word "God" out and just replace it with "universe"? Why the need to glorify the universe with another word? We have the universe, let's be happy with it. New words will never lead us to new understanding. Calling it God and prettying it up with words like "love" give positive meaning to something that is neither positive nor negative.
Sky
Yes labeling God does matter. Labeling God makes you whole. Being whole means you know who you are and the only way to know who you are is through knowing God. So if you do not want to label God as perfection and someone to look up to then you yourself will never be anything.
Sky
Yes labeling God does matter. Labeling God makes you whole. Being whole means you know who you are and the only way to know who you are is through knowing God. So if you do not want to label God as perfection and someone to look up to then you yourself will never be anything.
Steve
Labeling God makes you whole. Being whole means you know who you are and the only way to know yourself is through knowing God.

So in your opinion, the first step for personal growth of being is knowing God? I disagree here. I think first we must understand ourselves and eliminate wrong ways of thinking before we can ever possibly be prepared to understand the universe and/or "God", which I believe is still very far beyond even the highest modes of consciousness humans have thus far achieved.

So if you do not want to label God as perfection and someone to look up to then you yourself will never be anything.

Are we still using the same meaning of God? If we are still talking about celestia777's version, the "all-inclusive everything," I don't think it's very consistent to speak of God now as "someone to look up to".
-J-
Dear Forum Members,

This is a subject very close to my heart, so heres my two pennyworth.

God is what you want him/her/it to be. There have been just as many interpretations of what God is as there have been people.

If it makes you feel safe to think that God really exists and he created man in his own image, created the universe etc, then that is one shared by millions around the world.
It is a nice thought, it makes you feel good inside, thinking an immortal who is everything and nothing at the same time, would take time out to create us and love us as his own.
Its a wonderful and pretty image of what God could be.

Others however have a totally different viewpoint, they do not believe in a heaven father but a balance throughout the universe of positive and negative energy. They find reasoning in their everyday environments and themselves. The need for balance, yin and yang. They understand we are part of a universe and not that the universe was created for us.
They also understand the recycling of life within the universe and interpret this as re-incarnation. Yet again a wonderful and pretty thought.
It makes them feel safe and gives them a reason to live.

This is the most essential part of trying to fathom what God or its equivelant is.
Humans NEED a reason to live, and a belief in a deity fills the void for our collective ignorance.

We as humans progress along a technological timeline, finding out answers to questions that seemed impossible. The learned people of all societies gave their own interpretation of what is true and what we should believe to be able to co-exist in harmony with other humans and the local environments. It suited thier own purpose of survival and so it is never questioned.
We today understand and accept simple facts like bacteria and germs can cause illness, but less than 200 years ago, the majority of, lets call them God fearing people, didnt. Plagues were the work of the devil etc..

Dont mock ignorance, to them it made perfect sense. In the middle ages in Europe the advance of the "black death" took the lives of millions. These people were believers, the church was a powerful entity and they couldnt understand why they were being "slaughtered" by this mysterious death they couldnt see. So if God couldnt be blamed then the devil certainly could. Today even though we cannot be certain of the actual bacteria that caused the plague ( several theories have surfaced but there is no concrete eveidence to support a single one as being the cause ) we do understand that it wasnt the work of some mysterious evil counterpart.

Your God or your understanding of your god has to be able to make sense. The greeks and the romans had a wonderful array of gods, as did the Scandinavians, not to mention the amount of eastern gods and the innumerable amount of animisim gods.
Sense of a situation is relative to a timeline. Just think of the amount of time humans have been around, and the amount of faiths that have risen and faded. At the time, all of these faiths were considered to be correct, and woe betide those who thought differently .... ( hey wait a second, sounds familiar eh ? Christians think one thing Muslims think something else.... war.... holy war.... hmmm .... same god ... different prophet .... but I digress .... sorry force of habit ) The faiths of the time had been around a lot longer than any single person, so they must be right eh? If your parents tell you something, then it must be right ?
If thier parents told them the same, well then there is no need to question it, it must be right ? This faith has been around for thousands of years ... God it just HAS to be right ?

An Egyptian living for his approx 50-65 years, around the timeline of 2000 years BCE ( used to be called BC but the Jewish faith felt left out ) lived in a society of many gods. They had been around for almost 1500 years at this point so in thier mind there was absolutely NO reason whatsoever to question the validity of the faith structure.

Today however these gods have given way to our ( modern faith ) present single god. We laugh at the thought of a god for this and a god for that, but be sure of one thing ( whoever you are ) if you had laughed back then, it would have been the last thing you did !

Religion even though it cannot accept the word evolution, has evolved from a ogliopol of deities to a monopol of one true god.

It makes no difference how you explain your god, just as long as you as an individual feel secure in your interpretation.Things just start to go wrong when you think your interpretation is the only true interpretation.

If you subscribe to the school of theory that god is the universe then you also must subscibe that god created itself. You can say that god created us, because we are part of the universe.

The ideology of we are viruses who infect blood cells which are part of the universe etc.. makes sense too. But then again it would also mean that every plant form on Earth is a virus that spreads and consumes the natural resources around them, I could go on and on and on about how sensible every understanding of god is and explain it an a way so everyone can understand that your individual point of view is just as valid as your neighbours etc...

Heres another analogy : Life is what you make it, thus God is what you make it.
Simple, correct and can printed on a T-shirt ( sorry the marketing man in me rose to the surface, forgive me, it happens )

Religion has always been wrong,(although fundamentally correct as a guide for co-existence ) history proves this to be true. To think that we have got it right this time round is tandamount to say that we can never reach the goal of true understanding as god will not allow it.

If you feel safe under the umbrella of your faith then you are doomed never to see what is on the other side. Umbrellas give cover, but they also obscure.

So to answer the original question : who is god ?

Whoever you want him/her/it to be.

J
Steve
I refuse to believe there are as many truths out there as there are people in the world. I think it's too easy of an answer to just say, "God is whatever you want it to be." The very nature of truth infers that there can only be one. If you take something to be the truth, you cannot simply call it your truth and say, "Well, everyone can have their own truth, and this is mine." We lie to ourselves by thinking we know more than we do. What you call your truth is actually your lie.
-J-
OK Steve you are saying there is only one truth ?

With this in mind tell me which of these statements are the truth

This is a beautiful world, so much love, so much life
This is a living hell, so much hate, so much death

You say " The very nature of truth infers that there can only be one "

So using this as your "yard-stick" which of the two sentences, though equal and opposite is the truth ?

From my point of view they are both true, it depends where you come from and how you perceive your environment, but then again, I choose to see things from all angles and not just my own.

J
Robert the Bruce
Nils Bohr said or observed:

A great truth has an opposite which is also true, a trivial truth has an opposite which is simply false.

God made by man (anthropomorphing) is mere ego projections and has led to most un-Holy Lands, Empires and an abortion of the soul that went along with a War on Women and the utter fabrication of history for the last 5,000 years of what James Joyce called a 'nightmare'.

On the other hand there is scientific proof galore of the existence of laws and convergent consciousnesses. Science has always been more ethical and aware of god or the LOGOS; more by far than any priestly proselyte or prevaricator who would tell you anything other than 'Ye are all gods' (John 10:34).
Steve
This is a beautiful world, so much love, so much life
This is a living hell, so much hate, so much death

Neither of these is completely true, because they look at only part of the whole. Both of these statements can fit into a larger truth about the world in general. Similarly, the true understanding of the universe must be an all-encompassing truth or it would not really be true. My claim is that trying to understand this higher truth or "God" or whatever we would like to call it is completely in vain, because even at the highest level of being humans have attained, they have only had glimpses of it. In our current state of consciousness it is completely ludicrous to attempt it. I don't have a "truth" of my own because I realize that it is beyond me to try to understand, and achieving the level of being necessary to understand can take a lifetime of work and struggle to correct one's way of thinking.

This is not to say that we cannot completely rule out some belief systems. Although we generally cannot see truth, we can always pick out what is false if we are thinking in the right way.
Substance abuser#9181985
I feel the need to reply to this forum, although I have many thoughts on the matter I find it needless to post them, I instead shall give readers a personal summary of the evolution of my thought process and philosophy. Growing up I was raised in a Christian home, regular church attendance, periodical bible studies, and the whole lot. However even from a young age I thought church to be useless and a waste of time, likewise I was told that one day I would want to go to church and appreciate the message it had for me. I find it interestingly amusing how others have claimed to know me better than I know myself and the projected philosophies they claim I will one day hold. I know you can have guessed accurately on what happened to my christian foundation and the religion of it. One day, one of my good friends approached me and claimed that the bible, the holy inspired word of god was errant. I ignorantly laughed him off, not because I knew the bible was inerrant, but because I blindly believed through faith that it was. But this tiny seed of slight disbelief that my friend placed in me, was feed through hours upon hours of internet study and conversasion of educated men, both pro and anti christian. This time of unknowing perplexed my being, soul, moral tissue(for matters of time restraint I shall not pursue gross oversimplification) to the point where I gave up on the ability of my own mind. This is a modest explanation of my sentiment today. The majority of people who post on this site are considered intelligent, but could'nt true intelligence realize that a topic such as this shall lead to futile discussion which has no overall objecive, nor gain, can not the logical see the logic. I mean in no way to present myself as a superior intelligence above the topic, otherwise, I myself would not be posting. However I just wanted to put my philosophy, belief, whatever word you use to describe what you act upon, out there. I have many others thoughts on the matter and If any one has any question concerning this post or my philosophy as of present I would love to clarify.
Substance abuser#9181985
I'm sorry I already have something I should clarify to prevent an injustice to the reader concerning my intent. When I said,"I gave up on the ability of my own mind." I should have said I gave up on the ability of my own mind to distinguish truth. Implying that truth is gained not made throw a labyrinth of philosophies the mind puts it threw.
Unknown
QUOTE (Substance abuser#9181985 @ May 13, 11:21 AM)
The majority of people who post on this site are considered intelligent, but could'nt true intelligence realize that a topic such as this shall lead to futile discussion which has no overall objecive, nor gain, can not the logical see the logic.

OK, I admit it! I AM GOD!!!

More precisely, I am God insofar as I am inextricably linked with all that exists, all that existed, and all that is yet to exist. It follows that I am everyone who has ever lived. The Atman is Brahman, remember that. Better yet, realize that.

Transcend your puny ego and experience all that is, all that you are, and your true identity. Then, and only then, will you know who is God.

Of course, that begs the question, what is God? Anyone care to venture some ideas?
-J-
I wonder if its true what they say:

This wont hurt
I love you
Thats the truth

Are the three most prevalant lies in circulation ?
Unknown
QUOTE (-J- @ May 13, 12:13 PM)
I wonder if its true what they say:

This wont hurt
I love you
Thats the truth

Are the three most prevalant lies in circulation ?

I would have thought some of the following would make the list:

you're smart
you're beautiful
you're the best
I respect that
your thoughts matter to me
we were meant for each other
you're the one for me
I believe that everyone is equal (or should be equal)

Here are some with a religious flavor:

Christianity is true
a Christian God exists
Jesus is our savior

Unknown
or maybe I'm just being overly cynical
Robert the Bruce
What happened to 'The Check is in the mail' and
'I won't come in your mouth'
rhymer
And let's not forget "God works in mysterious ways"!
rhymer
Every day we each witness the fact that whatever happens, there is always a cause for it.
Early man would soon have recognised this fact.
So, as he looked at the world around him, he would have asked 'where did that flower come from', types of questions.

OK., so we think we have better answers today for many such questions, but in those days, the cause became "GOD", an obviously superior 'being' since we could not do what 'He' did.

For me 'God' is 'all that is unknown or not understood'. 'God' is missing knowledge which we 'personalise' and still revere and worship because we realise our inadequacy at explaining some things.

Brains think and try to plug our knowledge holes: they will not rest until all is thought to be known. And then they will become particularly bored!
I apologise now to GOD, if He exists, for doubting His existence and expect my punishment whensoever He feels fit to dish it out.
I totally respect anyone who does believe in any God, and do not suggest for a moment that they change their beliefs after reading my words.
I still seek the Truth. God is the Truth.
Namaste.
-J-
QUOTE (rhymer @ May 13, 02:12 PM)
And let's not forget "God works in mysterious ways"!

Dear Bill,

Eloquently put !

As for your last post, I agree whole heartedly, I just use different words.

Namaste

Fellow seeker of truths

J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am