Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question
BrainMeta.com Forum > Philosophy, Truth, History, & Politics > Theology > Religions and Esoterism
Pages: 1, 2
Happy Sadist
Is what the columbine kids did (going on a killing spree out of anger of not being accepted and being unloved) any different to when God killed everyone for not praising him in the (Noah's Ark) flood?
John Doe
hardly anyone believes in the validity of the bible so i don't see your point
John Doe
what i'd like to know is why would anyone want to throw away their life to go on a killing spree? I mean whatever anger you have could be used more constructively and in a manner that's life affirming.
Happy Sadist
I know quite a few people who live by the bible this is directed at those kinds I guess....

And yeah, I agree with the killing spree thing. However, I could see how it would be satisfying. Dont get me wrong I would never kill anyone, I dont hate anyone. BUT.... say there was some virtual reality type game, that seemed exactly like real life, I would probably kill people and have a whole lot of fun doing it. So I guess some people who actually go on killing sprees feel that way but lose the rationality to see that this is not a game and there will be consequences, not just to them but I mean people losing their lives also. Or just get to a point so far that they dont care. Who knows really
Joesus
Do you think that the kids that were involved with the shooting were as conscious as God when he created the flood and do you think maybe there is something greater to the biblical story that what the church portrays?
AmbientSnowflake
I'm sure they felt somewhat godlike. They held the power over life and death for a few moments. And only a god can be concious like a god, anyway.

Whatever the Church has portrayed as the meaning of the flood stands at question. Interpretation of the Bible is suspect to many questions that don't always get answered. Sometimes a particular group of people in a church will try to find concrete answers in Biblical text. The major problem is that there are no concrete answers.

Can anyone completely trust the perspective of interpretation?

What are the differences between the Columbine shootings and the mythical story about the great flood?
tammy54
It's a little ignorant to classify or find similaritiys between the columbine shootings and the great flood. There would be huge difference.
God created those beings, he demonstrated his power, jelosy, revenge, and love. What did the columbine shooters have to say... "we need to... kick start a revolution. We neeed to get a chain reaction going here". He wanted to start a chain of hate; god wanted to start a chain of love.
angelroze
yeah its different, they were doing it bcuz they were mad, they counldt handle it anymore, people wre rude, god did it bcuz people wre sinning. yes making fun of someone is a sin of sorts, but its not like what they were doing when god destryed them all. God is god, those kids at colimbine dont have the right to decide who dies and who doesnt. tho ic an understand why they did what they did. if i had the guts i would probably do it t my school, then kill myself too. i mean that would be better than just going quietly, well maybe not, but i can understand, they had so much anger bottled up inside bcuz people have NO feelings, they just reacted.
Eddie
It was not the case that Noah, if he existed, and his crew, were the only survivors of the Great Flood, which there is archaeological evidence for. The implication of this, of course, is that this means there could be other falsifications leading one to believe that the tale was a moral tale, folklore intended to guide, which is the Catholic Church's unofficial position, among the higher-ups, on most of Genesis.
angelroze
ok, do you want to explain that again in english? for those of us stupid people?
louise
Not an answer to the original question, just a fine point on the Noah thing. God didn't destroy people because they "weren't praising him". Genesis 6:4 refers to an interesting situation this isn't really mentioned again, that "the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them." A generally accepted view held by many Bible scholars is that mankind had to be cleansed of this, to ensure that Jesus' lineage would be perfectly human. Noah's family was exempted because their offspring was free of this. It can be possibly interpreted that people knew that procreation with the sons of God was wrong; the implication of the 'wickedness of men' and the righteousness of Noah. It's arguable, but that's another debate.

Does this change the tenor of the argument? Probably not, but what the hey, thought I'd throw it in anyway.
Pastor John
QUOTE (Happy Sadist @ Nov 27, 07:09 AM)
Is what the columbine kids did (going on a killing spree out of anger of not being accepted and being unloved) any different to when God killed everyone for not praising him in the (Noah's Ark) flood?

No, for one they weren't God so they can't choose life or death @

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ahs_flood1.html

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ahs_flood2.html

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ike_a_dove.html

Secondly, God destroyed the mixed Nephalim -- not students.

Unknown
QUOTE (Pastor John @ Nov 04, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (Happy Sadist @ Nov 27, 07:09 AM)

No, for one they weren't God so they can't choose life or death @

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ahs_flood1.html

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ahs_flood2.html

http://www.covenantpeoplesministry.org/ser...ike_a_dove.html

Secondly, God destroyed the mixed Nephalim -- not students.

A Christian pastor in our mists! Now we are really going to have some fun!
Unknown
since God is, by definition, omnipotent, the columbine kids were possible only through God. They were doing God's will, just as everything else does God's will; otherwise, God is not omnipotent.
Pastor John
God's Will aside, the question was:

The flood was brought on because:

Gen 6:1-6; "It came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

The Columbine murderers are thankfully in Hell:

1Jo 3:15; "No murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

So again, they didn't kill because they were upset with evil -- they WERE evil.
Rick
It's hard to win a rational argument using bible quotations. There are too many contradicitons in it. Didn't Jesus say that whoever believed in him would have eternal life?

code buttons
Convictions out rational thought should always win arguments. But in the real world things are not so.
When the day comes that we put aside our ideological differences for the benefit of life itself, then we can say that we have taken a giant step forward in progress.
Rick
QUOTE (Pastor John @ Nov 04, 10:34 PM)
The Columbine murderers are thankfully in Hell ...

I think it's more likely that those evil-doers have ceased to exist, as there is compelling evidence that consciousness requires brain function to exist.
Bill S. Preston Esq.
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 07, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Pastor John @ Nov 04, 10:34 PM)
The Columbine murderers are thankfully in Hell ...

I think it's more likely that those evil-doers have ceased to exist, as there is compelling evidence that consciousness requires brain function to exist.

Is Hell not the grave? rolleyes.gif
Rick
QUOTE (Bill S. Preston Esq. @ Nov 07, 07:26 PM)
Is Hell not the grave?

No, Hell is a mythical place of torment. Death is not torment; it is the end of suffering. Cessation of existence of the individual is not to be unnecessarily feared as it is the natural fate of all living things. The natural will to live implies a proper fear of death, but fear of fictional torment after death is unwarranted.
Unknown
Earth is Hell!
Rick
It will be if the Republicans continue to have their way.
rhymer
Is Hell a place or an experience or both?
Is Heaven a place or an experience or both?
Rick
Heaven and Hell are imaginary places in monotheistic theological myths. Their supposed qualities are such that "hellish" and "heavenly" experiences have acquired their respective names from those myths.
Unknown
So, what's the payback for someone like Hitler? Did he get away with killing 6 million Jews, amongs other crimes?
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 08, 07:18 PM)
So, what's the payback for someone like Hitler? Did he get away with killing 6 million Jews, amongs other crimes?

What sort of question is that? Is that supposed to be an argument in favor of the existence of heaven and hell, so that ppl like Hitler can go to hell and be punished for their crimes?

If you accept that we are all part of the One, and that concepts of 'me' and 'other' are illusionary distinctions that belie the unity and interconnectedness of everything, then the of questions as the one that you posed about Hitler getting his due, never even arise.
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 08, 11:05 AM)
Earth is Hell!

It is what you make of it.
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 09, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 08, 07:18 PM)

What sort of question is that? Is that supposed to be an argument in favor of the existence of heaven and hell, so that ppl like Hitler can go to hell and be punished for their crimes?

If you accept that we are all part of the One, and that concepts of 'me' and 'other' are illusionary distinctions that belie the unity and interconnectedness of everything, then the of questions as the one that you posed about Hitler getting his due, never even arise.

It's just human nature to get frustrated at the realization that some human beings can be so cruel and yet seem to be able to get away with it somehow. Like Bin Laden, for whom death would be an easy way out. It seems so unfare.
Rick
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 09, 09:40 AM)
... It seems so unfare.

It's human nature to desire fairness (or justice). We wish it were so, and wishful thinking is a common human weakness. Many of our religious myths are based on wishful thinking. We want monsters to be punished after death, so we invent hell for them. We want ourselves and our loved ones to have eternal reward, so we invented god and heaven.

However, wishing doesn't make it so, and it is a much higher virtue to use nature-given reason to ascertain the truth. Being in touch with reality is a much better reward than the fictional deception of heaven.

Seen this way, religious faith, because it deceives us, is a vice, not a virtue. To allow one's self to be seduced from the path of reason by easy answers is a weakness, and those who pray on human weakness often realize exactly what they are doing. To the extent that they deceive us (lead us from reason, and therefore do us harm), religious evangelizers are evil.
rhymer
I have to agree with you Rick, but what are people who are unable to determine reality to do?
They have no option but to believe something!

This doesn't justify the actions of those who seek power and control over people, but to which 'body' can 'non-understanders' safely turn?

Who can they trust?

To them, we are just one-offs with our own ideas, which is in fact true!

I was brought up as a Christian and am grateful for it - it did me no harm, except that I had to just accept 'rogues who dumped on me'!

There came a time when I couldn't get sensible answers to my questions, and that was when I found a life without a God.
It gives one tremendous responsibilities when you have no God to blame for things; no-one to ask for forgiveness, no-one to provide comfort etc.
Even so, I still think my beliefs are more realistic than in a God.
Nonetheless, for the reasons I give above, I don't try to change someones beliefs unless they effectively ask me to. I know that belief in falsity is not ideal, but having nothing to be able to believe in is existence threatening for some folks.
And at the end of the day we are each entitled to choose in what we will believe. (Indoctrination apart).

Do you think I should be more pro-active, or does my reasoning seem sensible?
Rick
I am tending more toward activism, lately. I think belief in man and nature, being the true beliefs, are infinitely better than any comforting false beliefs. Give me reality, no matter how unpleasant compared to fantasy. One who sees the truth has a duty to inform his fellows. You are hereby informed.
Unknown
"One who sees the truth has a duty to inform his fellows".

This is what all religions (or Muslim Fundamentalists) do and get away with it!

You might be right.

But what rules do you propose that your fellows should adopt for their own good and for the good of society?
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 10, 03:34 AM)
"One who sees the truth has a duty to inform his fellows".

in 99.9% of the cases, that "truth" is falsehood and delusion, and it is very insidious to pass these off as "truth" onto unsuspecting victims.

It's best to rely on personal experience.

"But what rules do you propose that your fellows should adopt for their own good and for the good of society?"

Individuals should try to align there personal interests with the public interests, in order to allow others to interpret your selfishness as selfless self-sacrificing. In cases of conflict, choose wisely.
Rick
QUOTE (Unknown @ Nov 10, 04:34 AM)
But what rules do you propose that your fellows should adopt for their own good and for the good of society?

I propose a simple rule that most religionists seem either afraid or reluctant to apply: reason. See my mock interview at:

/forum/index.php?showtopic=7361
Unknown
Is this statement scientific?:
"Quite predictably, fossil records from the era in which historians now think that beliefs of an afterlife began indicate a concurrent expansion of the human skull around the frontal lobe of the brain, the location at which we appreciate our mortality. In essence, religion was born when we saw death coming."
I took it out of herehere
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 09:40 AM)
Is this statement scientific?:
"Quite predictably, fossil records from the era in which historians now think that beliefs of an afterlife began indicate a concurrent expansion of the human skull around the frontal lobe of the brain, the location at which we appreciate our mortality. In essence, religion was born when we saw death coming."
I took it out of herehere

no, it's not, even though the article itself makes for a somewhat interesting read.
Rick
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 10:40 AM)
Is this statement scientific?

The quotation refers to the well-established brain enlargement observed in the recent evolution of humans from our common ancestor with chimpanzees. The fore-brain region is associated with rational thought. Because reason is required for a man to understand his own mortality, the statement is indeed "scientific."
Unknown
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 01, 02:19 PM)

The quotation refers to the well-established brain enlargement observed in the recent evolution of humans from our common ancestor with chimpanzees. The fore-brain region is associated with rational thought. Because reason is required for a man to understand his own mortality, the statement is indeed "scientific."

the statement is vacuous and without a shred of hard evidence; it is wishful thinking and fantasy, which is not scientific.
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 01, 02:19 PM)

the statement is vacuous and without a shred of hard evidence; it is wishful thinking and fantasy, which is not scientific.

Rick: You need to read the article. It's real short. I read it and I can tell that you didn't. So you both stand correct from your different perspectives.
Unknown
I don't think Rick needed to read the article to comment on the scientific merit of the statement. He is entitled to his point of view. I just don't think the statement has much merit because 1) the evidence for brain-enlargement based on skull casts is flimsy, 2) the relation between increase in brain-size and increase in frontal lobe size disregards the increases in size of many other brain others, 3) the relation between size of frontal lobes and appreciation of mortality takes the mistaken view of localization of function within the brain to a comic extreme, and 4) the statement seems more like wishful thinking and intellectual masturbation than anything scientific.
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 09:40 AM)
"In essence, religion was born when we saw death coming."

This part is speculation.
Hey Hey
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 02, 08:04 AM)
3) the relation between size of frontal lobes and appreciation of mortality takes the mistaken view of localization of function within the brain to a comic extreme

so you're saying that there is no localization of function?
Unknown
QUOTE (Hey Hey @ Dec 02, 09:11 AM)
3)  the relation between size of frontal lobes and appreciation of mortality takes the mistaken view of localization of function within the brain to a comic extreme

there is not localization of high-level psychological functions such as intelligence, memory, language, etc. Even saying that language is localized to Broca's and Wernicke's areas is a mistake since these areas are connected with dozens of others. The same goes for implicating MT with motion. Every area in the brain is part of a distributed network of areas; as such, you cannot implicate single areas with particular functions. Gall made this mistake in the 1800's; let's not repeat his error.
Unknown
There is a good discussion of Gall's 'localization of function' at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/4220/gall.html

Although the article is sympathetic to Gall's ideas, it does not change the fact that Gall was wrong; localization of function in the brain is a chimera and an attempt to overly-simplify something that is much more complicated.
Hey Hey
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 02, 07:37 PM)
Even saying that language is localized to Broca's and Wernicke's areas is a mistake since these areas are connected with dozens of others.

even a leg can't walk on its own
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 02, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (Hey Hey @ Dec 02, 09:11 AM)
3)  the relation between size of frontal lobes and appreciation of mortality takes the mistaken view of localization of function within the brain to a comic extreme

there is not localization of high-level psychological functions such as intelligence, memory, language, etc. Even saying that language is localized to Broca's and Wernicke's areas is a mistake since these areas are connected with dozens of others. The same goes for implicating MT with motion. Every area in the brain is part of a distributed network of areas; as such, you cannot implicate single areas with particular functions. Gall made this mistake in the 1800's; let's not repeat his error.

But there have been recorded cases of, otherwise normal individuals with lopsided brain activity: Genie, the feral child, for instance; whose whole left brain side was non-operative.
Rick
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 06:04 PM)
Rick: You need to read the article.

I read the entire article before I posted my reply above, and I stand by my statement. The evidence of sudden (in evolutionary time) brain growth is firm, and as I said, "well established." There is also ample evidence that rational thinking and planning (awareness of time, and hence, death) is associated with the new brain regions.

We didn't ascend from modern chimpanzees--we and chimps have a common ancestor. There is plenty of fossil evidence that our common ancestor had a brain about the size of a modern chimp's brain.

Therefore, the assertion that recent man's brain size increase coincided with his establishment of culture, religion, and thinking about mortality, has a significant basis in scientific evidence.
Trip like I do
Try reading Dr. Mautrice Bucke's 'Cosmic Consciousness'.
Unknown
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 02, 03:55 PM)
Therefore, the assertion that recent man's brain size increase coincided with his establishment of culture, religion, and thinking about mortality, has a significant basis in scientific evidence.

no offense Rick, but I still think this is a vacuous statement which borders on wishful thinking and intellectual masturbation.

The devil is in the details, and details are lacking here. All I have heard is wishful thinking and fantasy.
Unknown
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 01, 10:26 AM)
no, it's not, even though the article itself makes for a somewhat interesting read.

It's only one of several articles about the subject. They're all in that website, and they're real fun to read!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am