Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How safe is Lsd?
BrainMeta.com Forum > Enhancing Consciousness and Cognition > Expanding Consciousness > Entheogens
Substance abuser#9181985
Are there any major adverse physical side effects from Lsd use. I'm just looking to see if anyone could expound completely on the side effects of Lsd use.
Dan
I think the main side effect of concern has to do with the long-term effect on the mental apparatus. Not so much a blatant 'brain-damage' effect, as a more subtle 'neurodiscombobulation' that might lead to delusionality and/or depression later in life
Murray
To be quite honest I've chatted to 2 neuro surgeons, and one close friend whose an organic chemistry lecturer about this before. The rounded answer is a NO - the side effects may be flashbacks, and tolerance levels increase. Other than that bad judgement whilst under the influence, but that applies for any drug/ legal and illegal. What I find strange is that people consider LSD the strongest hallucigenic, yet mesculine I've found much stronger.

Unknown
my underbelly tad fast aches of nipple stretching anus strawbarkies. LDS tastes of riddle flesh canyon oaks and I like the fakeness of threatning apple crunches yeah baby you know what I know what I can mean yeah! Don't just facke the taste of yellowish pink clouds when you know you can taste the sky. Forget what you know and crawl with me through snow. Its all about reading the frogs on logs. You can't read what knows not you even if your heart explodes along the way. Codeness of boke people bring me back just to tell you this wisdom thought proccer of noccer. So go frigget pal, and share the air baby, everyone can do it! smell the shell! solos fill the air and our minds pop ping pong they go and they go like we never knew they would surrender to the space punks those punks from the sky damn those punks we had enough they lied and we made them died over and over you can read what they cant see in the time of the manganane oic icaid monstrobel mindacoics dispitratic okjimj ha that rips wet. wet like a bloody bipnet on fire, dripping puss like a runny nose, fingering it wet like a monkey on acid getting raped by white little dolphin men in bath robes with rubber underpants hats okay this is really raping sense harder every word that works on top of all inner tubes. i want to crawl out of time, time is like an anus, deep and wet, and moves in one direction, up and up, all the way up, the stars stain my brain as the light skull fucks me hard, ahh, gad you F**KING rot my brain
Unknown
lsd is not gad man, we are not gad, we let our early beliefs in gad kill our mind. Later in life whether or not we are religuous or athiest we feel that there has to be some meaning to our lives, to our existence, and that we have a purpose. Religion has imposed this fake idea onto our minds and we are usually plagued without cure until we just die - whether from it or from something else - it doesnt matter, cause it doesnt mean a thing anyways, you cant decide not to make the choice of presidency when all else fails in to the fact that without proof you can end up believing in this so called "god?" Should that make any sense? Will it ever? No, it only makes sense if 'you make it sense,' other than that you're searching for a meaning in something, because without meaning you think you're lost when your existence in your mind is questionable altogether. ;)sobriety no, the pain plagues me picking me dry to the point where it surrounds me in desert sand, cough cough, dry as dead grass!
Unknown
boy sits on stump, forest sounds alive, flute makes music, boy talks to flute, flute sings back, boy kills with flute, flute turns black, boy does acid off flute, flute floats away, boy does heroin to get flute back, boy found dead with flute found in throat. tension finds stoners by drug use, tension sucks life dry, we hate tension, it is the squeezing in the nature of life, its the snake that makes living hell... tension: the snake the makes living hell... heroin: the angel that makes tension cool... god: the idea that makes mind fukced!
Trip like I do
I think that I'll need some acid so as to 'trip like you do' and understand what was just posted by these three unknowns.

Maybe not.

I just had a flashback of my youth.
Rick
QUOTE (Dan @ May 04, 10:50 PM)
... subtle 'neurodiscombobulation' that might lead to delusionality and/or depression later in life.

Can you cite any evidence to back up this claim?
Dan
myself? rolleyes.gif
Rick
Anecdotal evidence is evidence. Scientific evidence, such as a controlled study, is more compelling, however.
Dan
are you suggesting that you have some convincing scientific results to the contrary?
Rick
Short term studies are the only ones I know of, so no, nothing on long term effects. The short term results look promising, however. There's a fairly recent book that I read this year about LSD and creativity based on studies in the 60s (LSD is illegal for research now), and one study in the late 50s or early 60s with neurotics found the average IQ increase (measured on the Weschler scale) was 10 points from a single LSD therapeutic session.
Dan
yes, I had good 'short term' results as did my brother. I tripped out, and it was groovy and far out. I am, of course, talking about the long term effects on baseline mental health.
Rick
It would be difficult to isolate the LSD long term effects (if any) from other influences. It's too bad there are no long term controlled studies (that I know of).
Robert the Bruce
LSD is one of, if not the best drug to deal with the far more serious disease of alcoholism. It got a bad rap because it led to real growth and understanding. Here is Professor Nichols telling us a lot about the history and continued attitudes towards this family of drugs which he feels can be very good for mankind. There is a very real issue with its overuse and its use by those who already have depression events or an inability to acept reality.

http://www.heffter.org/pages/misc/essay.html
Trip like I do
LSD - lysergic acid diethylamide.

Derived from a natural product, ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and that was used originally in medicine for the treatment of excessive bleeding and migraine headaches.

The discovery of LSD in 1943, by the Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann, was one of the accidents in which scientific history abounds. He was experimenting with an ergot compound called lysergic acid and added some new molecules to it and somehow absorbed some of the resulting mixture into his system, through the pores of his skin. Shortly thereafter he found himself unable to go on working.

"I had to go home," Hofmann wrote, "because I experienced very peculiar restlessness which was assosiated with a slight attack of dizziness. I went to bed and got into a not unpleasant state of drunkenness which was characterized by an extremely stimulating fantasy. When I closed my eyes.... I experienced fantastic images of an extraordinary plasticity. They were assosiated with an intense 'kaleidoscope' play of 'colours'."

A second dose...."I lost all control of time; space and time became more and more disorganized and I was overcome with fears that I was going crazy.... my 'ego' was suspended somewhere in space and was observing myself lying dead on the sofa through the 'alter ego'.

Experiences reported by experimenters vary from the horrifying to the transcendent. Subjects report rapid flights of ideas and assosiations.... and they may answer questions irrevantly and utter trivialities as profundities. They may become silent and withdrawn, utterly fascinated with their own fantasies and images. Many subjects report that they hear sound as colour.

Trip like I do
LSD and 'mental set':

Dr. Sidney Cohen of the University of California School of Medecine.

Concluded that hallucinogens are safe when given to a selected healty group. Hallucinogens can provide a rewarding, esthetic, philosophical, or religious experience. Some people gave had an abrupt sense of comprehending the nature of God. However, the effect of the drug depends a great deal on the 'mental set' of the user and the environment in which it is taken (I personally consumed six hits one time [along with numerous other drugs ie. speed, poppers, cocaine, weed, honey oil, etc.] for a Beastie Boys concert [the 'Ill Communication' tour] and partook in a 7000 person mosh pit, where I surfed for the first time, to 'Heart Attack Man' [how ironic] . Needless to say it was one of the most intense experiences of my life). If taken in expectation of a rewarding experience and in a pleasant setting the experience will probably be pleasant.

As the drug takes effect, 15 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion, the physical symptoms may include muscular tension, tingling, trembling, a rapid pulse, deep respiration, etc. There is a tremendous intensification of visual perception as though a trnslucent membrane has been peeled from one's eyes and everything becomes clearer, brighter and sharper, with different dimensions and qualities. One may spend hours rapt in contemplation of a piece of wood or a stone, while feeling a comprehension of the essential nature of such things.

Robert the Bruce
Archaeology now shows that ergot was the cause of many Medieval Witch Trials up to the Salem Witch Trials.
TRIP
QUOTE (Robert the Bruce @ Sep 22, 07:30 PM)
Archaeology now shows that ergot was the cause of many Medieval Witch Trials up to the Salem Witch Trials.

How do you mean Robert?
Robert the Bruce
They have found ergot (hallucinogens) in the bodies of many of the people. Of course the religious beliefs and opportunists seeking to gain the properties are still a factor.
Trip like I do
Altered functioning of monoamine synapses appear to account for the effects of the abuse of LSD.

Monoamines - three neurotransmitters: dopamine, norepinephrine, and seratonin.

Abnormal levels of monoamines in the brain have been related to the development of certain psychological disorders. For example, people who suffer from depression appear to have lowered levels of activation at norepinephrine (NE) and serotonin synapses. Although a host of other biochemical changes may contribute to depression, abnormalities at NE and serotonin synapses appear to play a central role.

In similar fashion, alterations in activity at dopamine synapses have been implicated in the development of schitzophrenia, marked by irrational thought, hallucinations, poor contact with reality, and deterioration of routine adaptive behaviour, and affects roughly 1% of the population.

Nonetheless, it appears that disturbances of monoamine transmitters make a key contribution to some forms of mental illness.

Theorists believe that LSD alters serotonin activity by binding to a specific subtype of serotonin receptor. Thus, changes in neurotransmitter activity are the foundation for the dramatic, mysterious, and inexplicably powerful effects of LSD.

Dopamine (DA) - contributes to control of voluntary movement. Decreased levels are assosiated with Parkinson's disease. Overactivity at DA synapses are assosiated with schitzophrenia.

Norepinephrine (NE) - contributes to modulation of mood and arousal.

Serotonin - involved in the regulation of sleep and wakefulness. Abnormal levels may contribute to depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Trip like I do
QUOTE (Robert the Bruce @ Sep 22, 08:36 PM)
They have found ergot (hallucinogens) in the bodies of many of the people. Of course the religious beliefs and opportunists seeking to gain the properties are still a factor.

But is it still a hallucinogen without the specific combination of chemicals? Is ergot a hallucinogen on its own?
Trip like I do
Thanks for posting that site Dan. I really enjoyed the section on Bosch, they didn't cover that in any of my art history classes.

P.S. I think that I will go have a reuben on rye now, for some reason I'm feeling hungry.
Robert the Bruce
One of many natural hallocinogens that used to be used to hook whole cultures with the likes of Blue Lotus in Anatolia probably being one of the first that Merovingians like the Onassis family used.
Robert the Bruce
In addition to ergotamine and dihydroergotamine which are used in the treatment of migraines, the ergot alkaloid methylergonovine is an obstetric agent used to induce labor and to control excessive uterine bleeding. (I believe these are it’s main uses; I’m a psychiatrist so that’s not the usual end of the body that I treat.) Also, if I’m not mistaken, Hydergine (ergoloid mesylate) is also a related compound believed by some to improve cognitive ability.

The ergot preparations used in migraine therapy are potent vasoconstrictors and are metabolized in the liver by a specific subset (3A) of metabolic enzymes (known as the cytochrome P450 system). Among the antiretroviral protease inhibitors, ritonavir and indinavir are particularly potent inhibitors of the cytochrome P450 3A subset (among others). I have run across 3 case reports in which migraine treatment with ergotamine resulted in severe systemic vasoconstriction when co-administered with indinavir or ritonavir. According to the PDR, "ergotamine overdose [may] include the following: numbness, tingling, pain, and cyanosis of the extremities associated with diminished or absent peripheral pulses; respiratory depression; an increase and/or decrease in blood pressure, usually in that order; confusion, delirium, convulsions, and coma; and/or some degree of nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain." For dyhydroergotamine the maximum recommended dose is no more than 4mg administered intranasally over the course of 7 days (in 0.5mg doses) and for ergotamine no more than 10mg (in 1mg doses) over the course of a week. Overt ergotism is rare but apparently may be precipitated by the inhibition of hepatic metabolism of these 2 drugs.

I have found no references to adverse reactions to Hydergine or methylergonovine in combination protease inhibitors or other cytochome P450 inhibitors (two common examples being nefazodone and erythromycin). Additionally there are no reports of adverse reactions to LSD in individuals taking cyp3A inhibitors. Apologies for the confusion regarding which drugs I was referring to in the phrase "these agents" near the end of my previous post.

David Gillenwater, M.D. [email protected]

Emory University School of Medicine

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health

HIV/AIDS Clinical Research Training Program

St. Anthony's Fire
Salem Witch Trials: Possessed girls=> ergotism?
LSD Time line

1938: Albert Hofmann (Albert Hofmann Foundation) synthesizes LSD at Sandoz Laboratories
April 16, 1943: Hofmann accidentally absorbs a tiny bit through his skin. The first "trip," about 3 hours in duration.
"An uninterrupted stream of fantastic images of extraordinary plasticity...accompanied by an intense, kaleidoscope-like play of colors."
April 19, 1943: Hofmann deliberately ingests 250 micrograms. Experiences anxiety, but is fine the next day.
1947: Werner Stoll reports on the mental effects of LSD
1952: Charles Savage reports on the first use of LSD to treat depression
1953: LSD clinic opens in England- Roland Sadison. In USA, CIA's Project MK-Ultra.
1955: Conference on LSD and Mescaline in USA
1960: Harvard's Timothy Leary establishes the Psychedelic Research Project.
1960's Army experimentation.
1963: First year LSD is recorded on the streets. Sugar cubes. Media coverage. Leary fired.
1966: Government bans LSD.
1967: First "human be-in" held in San Francisco. "Summer of Love"
1970: Dock Ellis no-hitter for the Pirates
1975: End of formal research
1976: "Blotter Acid" emerges as primary type.
1979: Hofmann publishes, "LSD: My Problem Child."
1988: Re surfacing of the "psychedelic movement." Rave scene.
Rick
Why is the Pirates no-hitter relevant here?
Robert the Bruce
In the web site you can click on each item to get an explanation - I did not look but I think he (and Spaceman Lee) were doing LSD as they pitched. Probably others did too.
Rick
That's the case.
Robert the Bruce
Sounds like it was quite a trip - eh?
Rick
A memorable experience.
Robert the Bruce
'Sitting in the morning sun... Dock had a say by the bay...'

Just watched a bio on the Mitchell Brothers - did you know them ET?
Unknown
schitzophrenia brought out by a hard acid trip coutered by antipsychotics over 2 week periods of treatment
then reenduced by each use of any strong hallucinogen such as microdots ecstacy & mushrooms
paranoid delusions
more detailed if inquired
finally a shroom trip creating the what thought telepathy of hearing voices never stopped for so far 3 years
cocaine causing lightning bolt thoughts within of an inner opposite personality only affecting the what thought telepathic communication
know realer seeming than ever yet known to me as delusion
all antipsychotics too weak to stop it at the highest doses
email me at [email protected]
very deep very scary very loving very religous at times very intense
Unknown
thanks for the insight!
Unknown
Picture yourself on a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
and she's gone

Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Lucy in the sky with diamonds, ah

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers
that grow so incredibly high

Newspaper taxies appear on the shores
Waiting to take you away
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds
and you're gone

Picture yourself in a train in a station
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes
Unknown
The problem with most illicit drugs is that users lack self-control and moderation, with the result being that more self damage is caused than good. If the user took drugs responsibly, moderately, and intelligently, with a keen understanding, first-hand, of the effects they wrought on their mind and body, both long- and short-term, then drugs would be a boon to society. As it stands, they cause more harm than good precisely because people do not know how to use them. In my opinion, illlicit drugs should be avoided by most people. Only a few will benefit, and only if they use intelligence and self-control.
Trip like I do
QUOTE (Unknown @ Dec 29, 01:17 PM)
Picture yourself on a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes
and she's gone

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers
that grow so incredibly high

Newspaper taxies appear on the shores
Waiting to take you away
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds
and you're gone

Picture yourself in a train in a station
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

typical stereotype of coloured consciousness, and is only part of the story.

LSD is but one access point into the world of colour
Unknown
Is color related to the visual experience only? Is there a language of color which trascends the mere visual experience? I'd like to know...
Trip like I do
Well then, for starters I would suggest you read David Batchelor's 'Chromophobia'.

It is a rather quick and enlightening read.
Darksanity
I find Shrooms to be more Hallucinogenic than LSD. LSD is more like a totally psychedelic different way of perception while Shrooms are intense and hallucinogenic!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright � BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am